Pitt-Johnstown’s incoming freshmen class embarked on several “@ Your Service” projects Saturday, August 25, 2018, from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at various Downtown Johnstown locations.
The service projects are part of Pitt-Johnstown’s new student orientation and are in cooperation with community partners at Discover Johnstown and the Johnstown Redevelopment Authority.
About 750 new students participated. The locations and activities were:
- Moxham – James Mayer Trail clean-up, and weeding and light painting at the Village Street playground;
- Iron Street – vacuuming the mill floor, moving items, painting plywood in an area that is being revamped to attract new businesses;
- Iron Street Trail – weeding and garbage pick-up;
- Central Park – assisting with block party setup;
- Downtown – scrubbing benches in Central Park, picking up garbage, weeding, and removing flowers from parking meter planters along Main Street; and
- Lincoln Street Parking Garage – painting doors and railings, and sweeping stairwells.
The students convened for lunch afterward at the Pasquerilla Conference Center and gained introduction to Downtown Johnstown businesses through a punch-card program in which students qualify for future discounts from businesses visited. The day concluded with a dance, bonfire, and fireworks at the campus mall in the evening.
The projects are part of the University’s commitment: Get Ready; Get Involved; Make a Difference; Embrace and Enjoy Your World.
Pitt-Johnstown’s Class of 2022 arrived on campus August 23.
The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown was founded in 1927, and is the first and largest regional campus of the University of Pittsburgh. Pitt-Johnstown is recognized by the Princeton Review as a “Best in the Northeast” college, by G.I. Jobs as a “Military Friendly School,” and by Pennsylvania Business Central as a "Top 100 Organization.” The distinctive combination of Pitt-Johnstown’s people, programs, and place results in exceptional performance in preparing students for career and professional success. Pitt-Johnstown is the regional leader, educating for success in the Real World.