The Pitt-Johnstown Bachelor of Science in Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) through the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing.
The Pitt-Johnstown program combines clinical practice with traditional nursing theory and values that emphasize holistic patient care. Students in the program develop a strong theoretical base of biological and behavioral sciences with a foundation in the liberal arts, providing them with the skills and experience necessary for careers in today’s nursing profession.
Through community partnerships with healthcare providers such as Memorial Medical Center, Somerset Hospital, Altoona Regional Hospital, and Select Specialty Hospital, students receive real-world preparation through high-quality clinical experiences.
The four-year Bachelor of Science degree in nursing is the critical first step for a career in professional nursing and is recognized by:
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
In addition to critical thinking, communication, and leadership skills, the BSN curriculum includes components such as community health nursing, research, informatics, and genetics, which are not typically included in diploma or associate-degree programs.
Downloadable Nursing Forms
214 Nursing and Health Science Building
450 Schoolhouse Rd.
Johnstown, PA 15904
A sample of the likely first-year schedule for students in Pitt-Johnstown’s nursing major (Please note that courses and course titles are subject to change):
- Fall Term
- CHEM 0910 Chemistry for the Health Professions - 3 credits
- CHEM 0192 Chemistry for the Health Professions Lab - 1 credit
- BIOL 0950 Anatomy & Physiology 1 - 3 credits
- BIOL 0951 Anatomy & Physiology 1 Lab - 1 credit
- ENGCMP 0005 English Composition - 3 credits
- PSY 0200 Introduction to Psychology - 3 credits
- Humanities Elective - 3 credits
- First-year seminar - 1 credit
Total - 18 credits
- BIOL 0980 Medical Microbiology - 3 credits
- BIOL 0981 Medical Microbiology Lab - 1 credit
- BIOL 0970 Anatomy & Physiology 2 - 3 credits
- BIOL 0971 Anatomy & Physiology 2 Lab - 1 credit
- NUR 0088 Introduction to Basic Statistics for Evidence Based Practice - 3 credits
- NUR 0051 Introduction to Professional Nursing - 3 credits
- NUR 0053 Introduction to Inclusion, Equity and Diversity in Healthcare - 1 credit
- Elective - 2 credits
Total - 17 credits