You asked for meal exchanges in the Tuck Shop…and you're getting them. The new "Exchange," opening in the location previously occupied by Tu Taco, allows you to use a meal exchange from open to close in the Tuck Shop. You will be able to choose among 1 of 2 hot entrees or a cold sandwich option plus a fountain drink…for one meal swipe. This means you will have an additional 32.5 hours of hot meal exchange access per week! You will also continue to be able to use a meal exchange for breakfast at the Pitt Stop from 7:30-11 a.m. Mondays through Fridays. Click here to view a sample weekly menu. Weekly menus will available on the Dine on Campus app or at dineoncampus.com/upj.
Freshens is Open the Weekends
Based on feedback throughout the past semester, we have opened Freshens on the weekends. Freshens will be open during regular Tuck Shop hours (see below).
Expanded Late-Night Options
Late-night options on the weekends are getting a lot better! The Tuck Shop will be the new location for late-night weekend dining and will now feature some of the limited time offers you asked for. The rotating menu will be developed based on feedback we have received from students over the past semester.
More Gluten-Free Options
We have expanded the availability of gluten-free options in the Tuck Shop and Pitt Stop. Ask your attendant if the menu item you want is available gluten-free. If it is, they'll be happy to make it at no additional charge. Please note all menu items have gluten-free options.
Spice Up Your Meals
A 20-item seasoning station has been added to PJ's by the Grill and on the high counter at the pizza station. It will be available at the end of shelter-in-place.
More Entrée Options
Based on responses to the fall survey, Chartwells has revised their menus to now include 24-different entrée options each day!
More Vegetarian/Vegan Options, too!
In order to better meet the needs of students who follow a vegetarian/vegan diet, an expanded array of options is now available in PJ's. Rooted, the plant-based dining station, has been expanded and now has options in the main dining hall for easier accessibility (. Don't forget that our culinary team is also there to assist you in identifying other options available in PJ's!
Hours of Operation:
PJ's (Student Union dining room)
Weekdays: Breakfast: 7:30-10 a.m. | Lunch: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Dinner: 4-7 p.m.
Weekends: Brunch: 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Dinner: 4-7 p.m.
Tuck Shop (all concepts):
Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.-10 p.m.*
Friday: 11 a.m.-Midnight*
Saturday & Sunday: 2 p.m.-Midnight*
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.*
Friday: 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
*meal exchange available
In light of ongoing COVID-19 concerns, we are returning to a cashless operation. Dining dollars, Mountain Cat Cash, and credit/debit cards can be used for any retail purchases. The cashless system will be a permanent feature of our campus dining program and is also being implemented at Chartwells operations across the country.
- Shelter-in-Place: During the shelter-in-place period (which begins upon your arrival on campus and is scheduled to end at 11:59 p.m., Thursday, January 13) all meals in PJ's will be take-out only (no reservations will be required) and self-serve will not be available. In-person dining, will return beginning with breakfast on Friday, January 14 (provided the shelter-in-place is lifted as planned). The retail locations (Tuck Shop, Pitt Stop, and Daily Grind) will be open and you can place your orders in person or via the BOOST app. Don't forget about the convenience of BOOST…place your order on the app and show up to pick it up at the prescribed time. No lines! No waiting!
- Meal Plan Changes: The deadline to change your meal plan (to a smaller one) is 5 p.m., Wednesday, January 13. You can make the change online in the Johnstown Campus Housing and Dining Services task center on the Pitt portal. No meal plan changes can be made after that deadline, unless you are changing to a higher plan.
- Food Allergies: If you have a food allergy, don't forget to complete the Allergen ID section on the Dine on Campus app. This will alert the culinary team. The G-8 station in PJ's is an allergen-free offering menu items made without any of the 8 most common allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, milk, wheat, and gluten) and soy.
- Keeping You Safe: The Chartwells team is continuing to follow all recommended guidelines to ensure a safe and healthy dining experience during COVID. The two most important are face coverings and sanitizing all dining surfaces. However, if you would like to sit at a table that has not yet been cleaned, self-serve sanitizing stations are available throughout PJ's.
- Dining Dollars: If you were enrolled in a fall meal plan and are enrolled in one for spring, your unused dining dollars rolled over into to this semester's plan. Keep in mind, however, that unused meals AND dining dollars will expire at the end of the spring term.