Join us in the Humanities Division at Pitt-Johnstown! Humanities is an exciting place where you can explore our most significant ideas, critical and cultural perspectives and beliefs, and both understand and interpret the human experience. The Humanities is a branch of learning dedicated to the study of literature, philosophy, languages, cultures, communication, music, fine and performing arts, and many other fields with exciting career prospects. Explore your passion with the expert assistance of our dedicated faculty with majors in Communication, English Literature, Writing (Creative or Professional), Journalism, Multimedia and Digital Culture, Theatre Arts, or in one of several combined Humanities disciplines.
- English Literature
- Humanities (Foreign Language and Literature)
- Humanities (Philosophy and Literature)
- Humanities (Thematic Cluster)
- Multimedia and Digital Culture
- Theatre Arts
- Writing (Creative or Professional)
What the Humanities can do for you:
- Improve your oral and written communication skills and help you integrate all areas of knowledge.
- Help you develop analytical thinking skills essential in all aspects of professional life.
- Refine your ability to create and appreciate the importance of creativity.
- Develop in your global perspectives and deepen your understanding of the world.
- Clarify your own values and help you determine what is meaningful.
- Deepen your understanding and appreciation of others' cultures and others' points of view.
- Enhance your appreciation of the joy, beauty, and success possible in your life.
The Humanities Division is where you can find:
- Explorations of foundational and experimental works from our most insightful authors, thinkers, artists, and musicians.
- Opportunities to focus on spoken, written, and digital communication.
- Top faculty who will help you develop your analytical thinking skills and refine your ability to create and appreciate the importance of creativity.
- Experts in 10 disciplines who inspire you to a greater understanding of the way in which human beings understand and respond to adversity, triumph, success, failure, pain, and joy.
- Engaging internships in many businesses in our community.
- Quality instruction and experience leading to jobs in areas such as journalism, publishing, public relations, social media, magazines, marketing, foreign and government service, technical communication, museum and gallery curation, and many other professions.
- Opportunities to perform in the written, musical, and theatrical arts.
- Concert Band
Concert Band is dedicated to music performance and music appreciation. The Concert Band encourages growth and provides to the community free-of-charge concerts that they sponsor and perform at the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center.
- Concert Choir
The UPJ Concert Choir is the official vocal ensemble of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. The Concert Choir performs a concert each term and also performs in the Johnstown community. Membership is open to all students. There is also an option available for students to take Concert Choir as one credit or to participate on the co-curricular level.
- Pitt-Johnstown Players
A theatre club that presents performances throughout the year. Visit the PPAC website to view exciting theatre productions coming this year.
- Humanities Programs
- Humanities Programs and Courses »
- ELL Information
- ELL Program