A major component of the Entrepreneurship Seminar is the opportunity for interdisciplinary student teams to present their commercially viable products and services to a panel of judges composed of local entrepreneurs and business leaders with the hopes of garnering mentors and seed funding. This portion of the class is modeled after the popular television show, Shark Tank.
Ideas pitched at the first Pitt-Johnstown Shark Tank presentations included:
- Instant Installs, a point protection film installation company
- Helado Para Ti, an ice cream and gourmet treat delivery service
- Bag-It!, an integrated bag and waste can
- Adventure Fitness, a gym catering to outdoor activities in an all-season indoor environment
- Safe-@-Home, a complete safety service package designed to eliminate fall hazards in a senior citizen’s home
- Magic Wash 4000, a micro-dishwasher
- Smart Squeeze, a no-mess precision fluid extruding system for bottles
- WindShield Cozy, a custom cover to keep snow and ice off of car windshields
- GrapeBrain, an online website that allows wine lovers to order an educational kit with wine samples
- Performance Leasing, a company that assists budget-constrained schools in securing new football equipment for the whole team
- Pharm Focus, a pharmacist-managed care program
- One Shot Skill Center, an archery and firearms shooting experience in a safe, competitive environment
This unique program, to be offered each semester, is designed to be a driver of entrepreneurial innovation in the Greater Johnstown region that provides students with real-world learning opportunities.
Pitt-Johnstown students are provided an opportunity to compete in "PitchFest" at the annual Showcase for Commerce, a nationally recognized business and trade show held in Johnstown.