A Brief History of Energy and Earth Resources (Geology) at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
ILLEGITIMI non CARBORUNDUM
Pitt-Johnstown was first established way back in 1927. But the teaching of Geology here first began many years later, in 1970. Since that time, the program has worked to intensively prepare students for rewarding careers in the geosciences (and even other fields). The alumni from this program have established themselves in many areas of geology across the United States and internationally. A more complete history of the geology program at Pitt-Johnstown is available here.
The current draft of the department history largely due to the efforts of alumnus and current adjunct faculty Neil Coleman and Professor Emeritus Dr. William Brice. For alumni who may have additional information on the history of the department, please contact us.
Below: Several long-time faculty were especially instrumental in shaping the course of the program.
Dr. Harold Fry at left
Dr. William Brice with student, Jeff Mazur
Dr. Uldis Kaktins
Interested readers are also referred to Professor Coleman's site: monsterquest.com (Note: this is an external site not affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown).