Pitt-Johnstown's chemistry program prepares students for employment at the bachelor's degree level, for graduate study, or for professional programs in health-related areas.
The Chemistry Department offers bachelor of science degrees in chemistry or biochemistry. Students may also choose to double major in biochemistry and biology, or biochemistry and chemistry. The program offers students opportunities to gain hands-on experience with analytical methods, organic and inorganic synthesis, and biochemical methods.
- In collaboration with the Education Division, the department offers courses toward a bachelor of science degree in secondary education – chemistry, and certification to teach high school chemistry.
- The department also provides advising and coursework for students interested in applying to pharmacy school.
Students have access to all department instrumentation in their laboratory and research experiences. Chemistry and biochemistry majors have many opportunities to participate in research and/or engage in internships. Students present their results at the annual Symposium for the Promotion of Academic and Creative Enquiry (SPACE). Our graduates have obtained jobs in industry, as well in graduate and professional programs.
The department is housed in two locations: the ground floor of the Engineering and Science Building has faculty offices, classrooms, upper-division laboratories and faculty research areas; the general chemistry and advanced chemistry laboratories are located in the adjacent Nursing and Health Sciences Building.
814-269-2904 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall Term
- Freshman Writing Seminar
- General Biology with Lab
- General Chemistry with Lab
- Algebra and Trigonometry
- United States History
- Spring Term
- Freshman Writing II
- General Biology II with Lab
- General Chemistry II with Lab
- Analytic Geometry and Calculus 1
- Intro to Psychology
Please note that courses and course titles are subject to change.