The Financial Aid Office works diligently to assist students and their families as they apply for and receive financial aid. We are here to help with every step of the financial aid process. Our office administered federal, state, and institutional aid programs, including grants, scholarships, student loans, and federal work-study, that totaled nearly $37 million in 2022-2023. More than 90% of our students receive some type of financial aid.
Applying for Financial Aid
- Apply for admission (new applicants only) » You cannot be awarded financial aid until you are admitted, so we suggest that you apply for admission early.
- Create your Federal Student Aid Username and Password (FSA ID), which is required to complete the FAFSA.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine financial aid eligibility and is available in both English and Spanish (a link is provided at the top right of the home page to change the entire site to Spanish). 8 Steps to Completing the FAFSA Form.
2024-2025 FAFSA Requirements & FAQ
- School Code for filing the FAFSA: 008815 University of Pittsburgh
- Priority filing deadline for 2023-2024: April 1, 2023
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Process to transfer your tax information to your FAFSA and significantly reduce the time it takes to complete the FAFSA.
- For the 2023-2024 award year, FAFSA applications are accepted beginning October 1, 2022, and will be accepted through June 30, 2024.
- The 2024-2025 FAFSA Application will not open until December 31, 2023.
|Use the quick-and-easy scholarship finder to learn about financial aid opportunities specific to you!|
Find scholarships. Scholarships help to lessen your out-of-pocket expenses and the amount borrowed through loans. Upon admission, students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships, but a variety of endowments, as well as numerous outside scholarships, also exist. Visit https://my.pitt.edu and search for PittFund$Me in your portal to set up your profile, and visit FastWeb for other outside scholarship opportunities.
Financial Aid Offer
After completing the FAFSA, you will receive your Financial Aid Offer via email. Normally, first-year and transfer students receive the Financial Aid offer beginning in December; however, this will be later due to the 24-25 FAFSA delay. Continuing students will receive their Financial Aid offer in June after Satisfactory Academic Progress is checked. This letter lists eligibility regarding:
- Grants (Federal and State)
- Loans (Federal Direct and Direct PLUS)
- Private Alternative Loans
- Work Programs
- Institutional Scholarships
Calculate your expenses using this form and your Financial Aid offer letter.
Make in-person or virtual appointments with Financial Aid by logging into Pathways, calling the office at (814)269-7045, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request availability.
If you need to provide any paperwork/documentation to the Financial Aid Office, please scan and email email@example.com. Be sure to include your name and student ID on all documents.
450 Schoolhouse Road
114 Blackington Hall
Johnstown, PA 15904
814-269-7045 | 800-881-5544