The University of Pittsburgh and its five regional campuses announced Friday, February 22, 2019, the launch of the Pitt Success Pell Match Program.
Through this program, the University will begin matching federal Pell Grants dollar for dollar (not to exceed the cost of attendance). In addition, the University will move to expand aid for families with unmet need as part of a concerted effort to remove financial barriers for students pursuing the world-class Pitt education.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Pitt Success Pell Match Program?
The federal Pell Grant helps students and families with the greatest financial need pay for college. The Pitt Success Pell Match Program will maximize the power of this federal program by matching it dollar for dollar. This University-wide program will be available to eligible undergraduate students at each of Pitt's five campuses (Pittsburgh, Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown, Titusville).
- How does the program benefit Pitt students and their families?
The Pitt Success Pell Match Program will immediately reduce a qualifying student’s financial obligation.
We expect recipients to be able to reduce time spent at paid employment and to expand their time engaged in studies or University activities with less worry about financial commitments and constraints.
- How many Pitt students will be impacted?
- Approximately 5,000 undergraduate students across all five campuses.
- How do I know if I can benefit from this program?
- If you are a student with a federal Pell Grant, the University will notify you of your eligibility for the Pitt Success Pell Match Program and confirm your award amount.
- Why is the University creating the Pitt Success Pell Match Program?
- A college degree is one of the most important and life-changing investments that an individual (and their family) can make. At the University of Pittsburgh, we believe that a student should not miss out on this experience due to financial circumstances that are—in many instances—largely out of their control. This is why we support a range of access and affordability initiatives that can help the best and brightest students thrive at Pitt.
- Am I eligible for the Pitt Success Pell Match Program if I am a part-time student?
- Yes. Part-time students are eligible for the Pitt Success Pell Match Program.
- I attend a University of Pittsburgh regional campus. Am I eligible to receive this grant?
- Yes. Students on all five Pitt campuses are eligible for the Pitt Success Pell Match Program. As long as you receive a Pell Grant, Pitt will match this federal grant dollar for dollar.
- How will I know if I will receive money through this program?
- The University will be sending notifications to students — prospective and continuing — during the final week of February.
- Where does the money come from to help me in this way?
- The University has initiated the most significant restructuring of financial aid in its history with the explicit intent to support this program and invest in students (and families) with the greatest need.
- Will I receive this money for each year that I am at Pitt?
- Every year that you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant, you will receive matching funds from the University of Pittsburgh.