University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown


Satisfactory Academic Progress at Pitt-Johnstown

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Financial aid regulations require that a student maintain SAP towards degree completion in order to receive student financial aid.  There are three measures to assess academic progress for financial aid (1) Grade Point Average (GPA), (2) Pace of Progression, and (3) Maximum Timeframe.

How often is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) reviewed?

SAP is evaluated after spring semester grades have been posted. 

What is the required GPA?

Undergraduate students with 30 credits or less earned, including accepted transfer/advance standing credits

1.5 cumulative GPA

Undergraduate students with more than 30 credits earned, including accepted transfer/advance standing credits

2.0 cumulative GPA

Graduate/professional students

Minimum cumulative GPA consistent with their program requirements for graduation. See graduate catalog for current GPA requirements in each program.

What credits/classes count towards pace of progression (67% threshold)?

The Pace of Progression is the percentage of successfully completed credits divided by attempted credits. The grades F, G, I, M, N, NC, R, U, W, and Z are not considered successfully completed. See Policy 09-01-01: Grading System for definitions of grade types.

How is pace of progression calculated?

Pace of progression is calculated using the total number of credits completed divided by the total number of credits attempted. Transfer credits accepted by the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown are included in determining pace of progression, but not in determining the cumulative GPA.

How is Maximum Timeframe calculated?

The Maximum Timeframe is up to 150% of the credits needed for degree completion.  For example, an undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree that requires 120 credits has a maximum timeframe of 180 credits. 

Where do I obtain the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form?

The SAP Appeal form can be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office or by clicking this link Financial Aid Appeal Form. 

What is the timeframe for processing a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal?

Depending upon the time of year, the review process may take up to 2-3 weeks once the appeal has been submitted to the Financial Aid Office for review.  Students should be sure that all sections have been completed in their entirety, including a signature from the program designee, and all supporting documentation has been attached.  This will ensure timely processing when reviewed by the committee. 

When and how will I be notified if I am not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Students will be notified if they are not meeting SAP guidelines after spring grades have been posted in mid-May.  A notification will be sent to the student’s University of Pittsburgh email account and a letter mailed to their home address. 

What types of financial aid is bound by the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy?

The SAP Policy applies to all financial aid programs.  However, there are certain state and institutional aid programs that have eligibility criteria that differs from this policy.  Refer to the specific program requirements. 

Why was my scholarship not renewed when I am meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements?

Each institutional scholarship has specific renewal requirements.  For example, many institutional scholarships have a minimum GPA renewal requirement, separate from the SAP Policy.  Refer to the renewal requirements for your scholarship. 

Can I file a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal more than once?

Yes, if there are mitigating circumstances.

What are the possible outcomes of a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal?


Student is deemed eligible for financial aid based on the circumstances of the appeal and is granted a “Meets SAP” status.


Student is eligible for financial aid for one semester, but must meet SAP requirements at the end of the semester to return to “Meets SAP” status.

Academic Plan

An academic plan must be established in meeting with the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Student must follow the plan to maintain financial aid eligibility. A review of progress will occur at the end of each semester while in this status. Failure to follow the plan will result in a status of “Not Meets” and loss of financial aid eligibility.


Student is NOT eligible for federal financial aid, but can re-appeal by submitting additional documentation for reconsideration. If student chooses not to re-appeal, or if the re-appeal is denied, financial aid will not be an option to help pay for education related expenses until student complies with SAP standards.  Although students are not eligible for federal aid, a student may still be eligible for other funding sources such as state grants or private education loans.

If a student does not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of the Spring Term, how does that affect financial aid for the Summer Term?

If a student is not meeting SAP at the end of the Spring Term, the student must complete a SAP Appeal to be reviewed to keep any financial aid funds that have been disbursed for the Summer Term.  If a student does not complete the SAP Appeal, aid will be cancelled.  Students will be notified to submit a SAP Appeal prior to any aid being cancelled. 

If a student is not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of the spring term and takes courses at another college or university over the summer, could financial aid be reinstated for the Fall Term if pace of progression is not being met?

Each academic school or unit within the university has specific guidelines and policies regarding transfer credits.  The credits must be accepted by the University and posted to the student’s record.  The student must also complete the SAP Appeal indicating this has occurred for review by the committee.  A student should consult with their campus to determine if transfer credits will be accepted for their program of study.

If a student takes courses at another college or university over the summer, could this improve their GPA at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown?

No.  The GPA associated with transfer credits accepted by the University of Pittsburgh Johnstown are not used in determining the cumulative GPA.