The University supports students' rights to privacy under the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy act of 1974. Therefore, we cannot discuss students' account or payment plan information with anyone except students' Authorized Users.
Students can authorize their parents, guardians, spouses, or others access to their student account in PittPAY. Students may have an unlimited number of Authorized Users, but must create each one individually. For example, students cannot include all family members under one Authorized User called “The Smith Family.”
Authorized Users can do the following:
- Discuss the student's account with Business Office Staff
- View the student's account in PittPAY
- Make online payments
- eCheck - from a U.S. checking account for NO FEE
- Debit or Credit Card - a non-refundable 2.75% service fee applies
- Visa, MasterCard, and Discover cards are accepted.
- International Payment-Flywire - payment from almost any country and bank; costs less than traditional wire transfers
- Enroll in an optional PittPAY Payment Plan on the student's behalf. (Note, there can only be one active payment plan per academic term, so either the student or one Authorized User can be the payment plan owner.)
- Generate a Statement of Account by Term, on demand, to request tuition reimbursement from employers, 401K plans, 529 and College Savings Plans, etc.
- Obtain account details to print or save, for a range of academic terms or dates
When a Parent PLUS Loan applies to the student account, it may create a credit balance. If the parent borrower elected on the PLUS Loan application to have the credit balance sent to the parent, the parent should first become an Authorized User in PittPAY, then create their own eRefund profile in PittPAY. Authorized Users who are Parent PLUS loan borrowers should login to PittPAY from the Authorized User Login button above, then select the Manage eRefunds quick link.
Creating Authorized Users
Students initiate the process to create their Authorized Users by logging into PittPAY and selecting Manage Authorized Users on the Account Summary tab.
Individuals who wish to become an Authorized User on their student’s account can initiate the process as well. First, the individual must create a PittPAY account using the Authorized User button above. Then, follow the instructions to generate a request to their student to be granted access to the student’s account. The individual will receive an email notification once the student confirms or denies the request.