University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown

Arriving in the United States

International Students

We look forward to your arrival into Johnstown and on campus!

It is here where you will find a strong and clear University commitment to foreign students, a place for you to connect to faculty and staff who are international or who have international backgrounds, and the opportunity to advance in one of Pitt-Johnstown's many distinctive academic programs that will lead you to a career that is critical to the future global economy. In the meantime, we offer the suggestions below to prepare you for entry into the United States and to get you situated for the start of your college career.

When You Should Arrive
International students in F or J visa status may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Please plan your travel accordingly.

Transportation to Pitt-Johnstown

After you receive your visa, make your travel arrangements to the United States. Popular ports of entry are Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland. You are not limited, however, to these two entry locations. Next, you'll want to continue your travels to the Johnstown region. Johnstown has three major modes of transportation: The John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County AirportGreyhound Bus Lines, and Amtrak Train Station. A local transit service, shuttles, and taxis are also available. Finally, some students/families rent vehicles to drive from the entry port to Johnstown. 

Temporary Accommodations

International students are permitted in the residence halls prior to the posted opening dates, as long as they complete the Early Arrival application (available with the Housing applications in My Pitt). For Fall of 2024, international students should plan to arrive between Auguat 15th and August 18th.

Students who arrive in Johnstown before the campus residence halls open, may stay at one of the Johnstown area hotels.

Mention your affiliation with the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown at the time of registration/check-in. Many of the above hotels provide discounted rates for students and families.

Check-In at Pitt-Johnstown
All international students must schedule a check-in with the Office of Community Relations and Engagement (G-52 Student Union) upon arrival.

Passport: The passport is the legal document issued by your country that indicates your identity and country of citizenship. Your passport must be kept valid at all times while in the U.S. A passport can be renewed through your Embassy or Consulate in the United States, if needed.

Visa: The U.S. visa is the stamp on a page of your passport which permits you to enter the U.S. Most students will enter with either a F-1 or J-1 visa. Scholars may have a J-1, H-1B, O-1 or TN visa. The U.S. visa may expire while you are in the U.S.; you cannot and do not need to renew it while you are here. A new visa will be required if the original one expires and you travel outside and then seek to re-enter the U.S.

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record: The I-94 is a white card (or computer generated card) which you complete before passing U.S. border officials upon entrance to the U.S. This document authorizes you to be in the U.S. as a student or scholar for a specified period of time, in a specific program of study, and at a specific institution. Two dates appear on the I-94; the date of entrance into the U.S. and the date of expiration of your permission to stay. For people in F-1 or J-1 immigration status, the expiration date is D/S (duration status) which implies the date of program completion. The I-94 must be valid at all times and kept in the passport. It will be surrendered to airline officials when you travel outside the continent and a new I-94 will be issued upon re-entry to the U.S. When travelling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands, the I-94 will usually NOT be surrendered but should be valid for 30 days beyond the date you will re-enter the U.S.

I-20 or DS-2019 (if applicable): The I-20 form (F-1 immigration status) or DS-2019 (J-1 immigration status) is the document issued by the University of Pittsburgh which you present to the Embassy or Consulate abroad to obtain a visa and which you present to border officials in order to enter the U.S each time you travel abroad and return. Your issued document is an important record of your stay in the U.S. Take care not to lose it and do not discard it if it expires. If you are traveling outside of the U.S., you must have the signed I-20 or DS-2019 prior to your trip.

Forms and Additional Information: Foreign students must complete and submit the following items, along with the above documents, during check-in: