Completing each item listed below will ensure a smooth transition for you to Pitt-Johnstown. Please keep in mind that allowing adequate time for processing and proper planning will provide the greatest opportunity for successful immigration.
1. Passport: If you have not done so already, apply for your passport or verify that your passport is valid.
2. Apply for your Student Visa: In order to obtain the F-1 or J-1 entry visa needed for admission to the United States, you will need to take the original I-20 or Form DS-2019 (issued by the University of Pittsburgh), your passport, and financial support documentation (e.g. award letter, bank statement, etc.) to the US Embassy or Consulate nearest you. Learn about applying for the non-immigrant visa. (Note: Citizens of Canada are not required to apply for an entry visa at a US Embassy or Consulate). Visit the US Department of State for additional information about US Embassies or Consulates.
4. Travel Arrangements: After you receive your visa, make your travel arrangements to the United States. Popular ports of entry are Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland. You are not limited, however, to these two entry locations. However, both provide the best additional routes to the Johnstown region. Johnstown has three major modes of transportation: The John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, Greyhound Bus Lines, and Amtrak Train Station. A local transit service, shuttles, and taxis are also available.
4. On Campus: Learn more about Pitt-Johnstown and its surrounding area.
Note: Students in F or J visa status may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. We ask that you notify us of flight information, including airline details, arrival dates, and times. This information will help us create a schedule of events for you when you arrive.
Money and Items to Bring
- Valid International Driver's Permit
- A plug adaptor for electronic devices
- Personal laptop or I-pad
- A scientific calculator
- Sports clothing / shoes
- Swimming suits
- Comfortable shoes
- One set of formal suit / dress
- Sweater or light jacket
- Winter coat
- An extra suitcase
- A small rucksack or book bag
- Any medicines or remedies you take regularly