Students in F-1 status who find they need additional time to finish their academic program beyond the end date on the Form I-20, must apply for an extension of stay in order to remain in the U.S. in lawful status. Extensions may only be authorized if the reason for the delay satisfies the lawful requirements for an extension as set forth in the U.S. immigration regulations..
- Must apply for the extension prior to the program end date
- Must be in-status and have continually maintained status
- Must be making normal progress toward degree completion
- Must provide sufficient financial documentation for time sought
How to Apply
In order to maintain status, extension requests must be approved prior to the program end date on your current Form I-20. To allow adequate processing time, International Services recommends completing your F-1 extension request at least 30 days prior to your I-20 end date.
If you have an I-20 end date during the summer term (i.e. between May 1 and September 1) and require an extension, OIS recommends submission of your extension request before June 1.
Step 1: Meet with your academic advisor to inquire about your academic eligibility to extend. Let your advisor know that he/she will receive an email from the My OIS system requesting him/her to complete a recommendation form online.
Step 2: Login to My.OIS.Pitt.edu
Step 3: Under “F-1 Student Services,” review the “F-1 extension” section.
You will be required to complete the two components for the extension: (1) “F-1 Extension Request” and (2) “Certification of Financial Responsibility” section.
Step 4: “F-1 Extension Request” requires you to enter in your academic advisor’s name and email.
Step 5: “Certification of Financial Responsibility” requires you to provide documentation that you or your sponsor(s) can support your tuition and living expenses. Any individual sponsor(s) will be emailed a request to confirm their intention to provide financial support for you. This must be completed in order to process your extension.
Each year the amount of tuition and living expenses are subject to change. The current requirements are listed in My.OIS.Pitt.edu.
If you are staying less than a year, you may pro-rate your living and dependent expenses. The requirements for the financial documents are below:
- All proof of financial support must be in English or accompanied by an English translation.
- All proof of financial support must state amounts and clearly state the date that the documentation was written or printed.
- All financial resources must be in liquid assets. International Services cannot accept real estate or other personal property.
- International Services reserves the right to request original documentation
Your DSO will process your application within 5 business days of receipt of all materials. Once approved, you will receive an email notifying you to pick up your new I-20.