The story of Pitt-Johnstown is ever-changing and ever-evolving. What remains consistent is that the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown offers a positive learning atmosphere, an outstanding record of student success, and a scenic natural environment. Here are some recent results of that ethos that is carried on by students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
First-Year Students 'Do Something' For Community
Pitt-Johnstown’s Class of 2023 upheld a university tradition of serving the Greater Johnstown community on Saturday, August 24, 2019. The class of nearly 600 new students upheld a challenge issued by President Jem Spectar during the previous day’s Class of 2023 Convocation, when he implored them to use all of their knowledge and resources to “do something!” The students helped to make downtown Johnstown a cleaner and more livable space for the community. Social media coverage of this effort was indicated by the hashtag: #wedidsomething. Read more »
- Welcome Class of 2023 »
- Student Entrepreneur's Supernal Siesta Makes a Winning PITTchFEST Pitch »
- Mountain Playhouse Subject of Students’ Book, Documentary »
- Engineers Win Mid-Atlantic ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition »
Pitt-Johnstown is 1st PA University Designated as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary
Pitt-Johnstown has achieved a unique designation as a "Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary" through the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP), an Audubon International program. Dave Finney, Supervisor of Campus Grounds, has led the effort to obtain sanctuary designation.
Pitt-Johnstown is the first Pennsylvania college or university to earn this certification, and only the eighth overall, according to Audubon International. The announcement was made by Audubon International on June 11, 2019. Pitt-Johnstown maintains a 655-acre campus with 15 miles of trails. Read more »
- President Spectar's Call for Digital Infrastructure as a Key to Closing the Rural-Urban Divide Continues to Gain Traction »
- The Future is Now: Pitt-Johnstown Hosts CODE 4 STEM Academy »
- Owen Library Offers Digitized Historical Information »
- Campus Community Mourns Passing of 'Our Friend' William G. McKelvey »
Filmmaker Tom Getty Authors How-To Publication
Johnstown filmmaker and author Tom Getty on the publication of his new book "How To Make Blockbuster Movies—And Do It On Your Own!" According to the writer and director of films "Emulation" and "America Has Fallen" (also known as "Rising Fear"), anyone can make a movie — just as long as they have passion, drive, and the right know-how. Read more »
Alumni Association Golf Classic
The 3rd annual Alumni Association Golf Classic teed-off on Aug 12, at Windber CC.
Donations to the event helped to support student scholarships, which accepts donations any time on our Giving page ».
Dr. Jill Henning Shares Her Insight on Lyme Disease and Prevention
Pitt-Johnstown assistant professor of biology Jill Henning, PhD, who has conducted extensive research on the risk of Lyme disease in western Pennsylvania, discussed her findings in an interview with The Allegheny Front’s Kara Holsopple of NPR. Read more »
- ‘Renaissance Man’ and Popular Mathematics Professor Boris Kushner Remembered »
- Popular Education Faculty Member Karen Cameron-Scanlon Recalled »
- ‘Passionate Intellectual’ Professor Fornoff Mourned »
- Campus Mourns Passing of Retired Associate Professor Dr. Richard Slick »
2 NCAA Champs, PA Champion, 6 State Place-Winners Lead Wrestling Recruiting Class
Head Coach Pat Pecora and the Pitt-Johnstown wrestling program have added 19 new wrestlers, including a pair of NCAA Division II National Champions, a Pennsylvania State Champion, six former Pennsylvania State place-winners and seven state qualifiers, for the 2019-20 season. Read more »